The library, which opened at its present location at 450 5th Ave. SE, in August 2013, was a recipient of the AIA/ALA Library Building Award for its futuristic exterior design for that year.
The library was onced housed in the same building that the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art now occupies, on the corner of 3rd Ave. and 5th Street SE, on the other side of Green Sqaure Park. The library relocated to 500 First STreet SE Feb. 17, 1985, but was heavily damaged in the flood of 2008.
The city sold that building to True North, who vacated their building on 4th Ave. and the city rennovated that building to make room for the new library.
The first public library was opened January 15, 1897, in a small room of the Granby building (230 2nd Street SE). It then moved to the Dows auditorium (210 2nd Street SE) in May 1900, until it found a more permanent home in 1905.
The library celebrated its 120th birthday Jan. 14 with a variety of fun activities.
To see more beautiful libraries, visit www.businessinsider.com.