The majority of fatal fires occur at night between midnight and 5 a.m., when most people are asleep. A working smoke alarm provides early warning and provides a family with needed extra seconds to get out of a burning home safely.
Carbon monoxide is known as the “silent killer” because the gas is virtually undetectable without detection technology like a carbon monoxide alarm. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless and odorless gas. Common sources of carbon monoxide include open flames, faulty gas stoves, blocked chimneys, space heaters, or a car or generator left running in the garage.
If the carbon monoxide or smoke alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors, call 911 and remain outside to await the arrival of emergency personnel.
Safety Tips to Keep Your Family Safe:
- Develop an emergency exit plan and an alternate exit plan. Make sure screens or storm windows can be easily removed. If you live in a two-story home, have an escape ladder for each occupied bedroom.
- Establish a meeting place outside your home to be sure everyone has escaped. Every family member should participate in practice escape drills at least two time per year.
- In the event of fire, do not stop to get dressed or gather valuables. Do not search for the family pet.
- Teach your family that in a fire they must stay low to the floor to avoid smoke and intense heat.
- Train family members to feel closed door before exiting. If the door is warm, open it slowly, and close it quickly if heat or smoke rushes in.
- Establish a rule that once you're out, you never re-enter under any circumstances. As soon as two people have reached the meeting place, one should call 911 from a neighbor's house.