It's not surprising that job, money, and health top the list of reasons for stress, according to statisticcbrain.com*. Stress has become a part of everyday life for many adults, because we have become a society of "doers" and "over-achievers."
Many of us shake it off, stuff it down, or use drugs and alcohol to "take the edge off," which only causes more problems.
But there are healthy ways you can alleviate some of that stress.
- Learn to meditate or take up yoga.
- We have over 60,000 thoughts per day. Are your thoughts positive or negative? “When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.”
- Exercise regularly. A workout at the gym or a brisk 30-minute walk can help. Physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals that may leave you feeling happier and more relaxed. You may also feel better about yourself, which can improves self-esteem.
- Feel your emotions. Everyone has a bad day from time to time. The important thing is to keep things in perspective.
- Set healthy boundaries. It’s ok to say no and it’s ok to not spend time with negative people.
- Make sure you get enough sleep. Most people don’t get nearly enough.
- Talk it out. Stifling emotions can cause serious health problems. People who express their feelings in a healthy way are happier.
*According to statisticbrain.com the Top 7 Reasons for stress are:
1. Job Pressure, Co-Worker Tension, Bosses, Work Overload
2. Money Loss of Job, Reduced Retirement, Medical Expenses
3. Health Health Crisis, Terminal or Chronic Illness
4. Relationships Divorce, Death of Spouse, Arguments with Friends, Loneliness
5. Poor Nutrition Inadequate Nutrition, Caffeine, Processed Foods, Refined Sugars
6. Media Overload Television, Radio, Internet, E-Mail, Social Networking
7. Sleep Deprivation Inability to release adrenaline and other stress hormones